Thursday, September 29, 2011

MOVING RIGHT ALONG!

Cassandra and I met last week and we sat in my office, tore things off the bookcase and threw out a lot of old catalogs and price lists.  That is my problem.  When I put things away, I forget about them.  I need to work on that.  This entire week I have worked on some sort of organization project daily.  Yesterday, it rained and thundered and we lost our electricity.  Since my desk is by the window, I was able to get the light so I sat there and went through all of the piles of papers on my desk.  Then I cleared out part of of the bookcase hutch and can actually see the back of it.  Feels good to dump and clean out things.

I'm a member of Sparkpeople which is a free weight loss site but there is a wealth of information and teams that you can learn about anything.  I am a member of the organized life team and one of the members offered her services to help others organize their lives.  So I volunteered. 

She had a good suggestion.  Ask yourself the five whys.  Why do I leave piles on my desk?  Because I am bored with organizing them. 
Why are you bored?  Filing the piles away is a mundane task and I'd rather do something more interesting.  I am too quick to want to go onto something more fun so I just drop things on top of the pile. 
Why are you quick to make a mess instead of dealing with it now?  Because I don't have a good organized system set up.
Why don't you set up a good system?  I have a file cabinet with old files that need to be moved to the garage in order to make space for the new system.
Why don't you move them.  It requires hubby's assistance and he's not too keen on that.  However, if I got all prepared with the box to put the files in, he would be more helpful.
So I've solved one of my problems.  Get a box, put the files in the box, and then ask hubby to help.  This all makes sense to me.

Now I think I'll go take a nap and do this later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment