Sunday, September 11, 2011

THE EAGLE AND THE MOUSE!

Okay, I admit it, I'm a slob!  I'm a very talented and award winning interior decorator capable of turning my clients homes into dreams as illustrated in my clients sunroom at right!    But for myself, my home is average.  The foyer is a stopping off point for new fabric books, bolts of fabrics and drapery hardware and they tend to stay there until  I clear a space for them in another room or the fabrics go off to the workroom! 

My friend Cassandra is a professional
organizer and she can find a place for every piece of paper and bolt of fabric that is out of place!  But she's not a decorator!
So Cassandra and I have decided to pair up and create a blog to help each other organize and decorate!  

We met at my home and defined each others goals.  Cassandra determined that we are exact opposites.  I am very visual and she is audial!.  She said that the only thing she could visualize were the backs of her eyelids!  I thought that was hilarious!  To further illustrate the difference between a visual person and an audial person, Cassandra used the analogy of the eagle and the mouse, which goes something like this in Cassandra's words:

"You (Carol) are a big picture kind of person and I (Cassandra) am a detail oriented person. If you think about the big picture you can visualize a giant bird like an eagle flying in the sky overlooking the entire countryside,  noticing what's going on everywhere and seeing how all the trees are placed in the grasses and also seeing the potential mice that might make a good dinner. The mouse on the other hand is really good at looking at details on the ground noticing what is important, where the nuts and  seeds are, and she is great at organizing and storing and getting ready for the winter. But the mouse cannot see the eagle flying overhead and has no idea what potential danger lies in those claws. The eagle on the other hand doesn't make a lot of preparation for winter except maybe fly to a warmer climate. So Carol,  being an eagle, and myself being a mouse, hopefully we will be able to see the big picture and the details and put them together!"

So together, we have devised a plan to help each other, to get me organized and to help Cassandra have a beautiful home!   We'll get together weekly and blog about it, baring our souls and our homes to the outside world!

"So what do you want?", Cassandra asks.   "What do you want your living space to look and feel like and even sound like? How do you want your office to look? Do you want all of your tasks to be out in the open or filed in such a manner that it's easy to get to and know where it is?"

She reminds me that the universe is expanding!  Sometimes it seems our bodies are expanding, the clutter in our homes is expanding, the stress on our lives is expanding.  We need to take a moment, reevaluate, and make a list of what we want our space to be.  We'll have to start at the beginning, one space at a time, one pile at a time, until we get what we want to nurture our bodies and souls.  And then its my turn.  I get to go to her home and see whats up with those pictures that are leaning against the wall! 

Until next time, I'll be working on my own list and maybe you can start working on yours!  Are we ready to change?  I think I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment